Thursday, July 29, 2010

Grandma 90!

For my humanities class, I had to write an obituary for Ivan Ilych, which required me to a) read the book about death b) read sample obituaries about death and c)think about death extensively. And old people, too. And how they generally go hand in hand but walk different paths according to the attitude of the dying person in question (which, by the way, is all of us at one point or another)

So, the soul for today is my great grandma Lenheart! I hate to open this post with such a dismal thought on death, but that really is all the more reason for me to highlight her because as close or far from death as she may be, she remains one of the happiest and most grateful souls I know!
Every time I talk to her, she just pours out happiness for the wonderful life she has lived thus far and the wonderful life she is continuing in now!

The first encounter I had with death, in fact, was her husband. I was seven, maybe, and I remember running up to my room and crying when I heard the news then running through the cemetery at the funeral, both actions I took because they were what people did in movies. Did I understand death then? No. Do I understand it now? Not quite. BUT, I do know that I should not trudge towards it, dreading it all my life, because then I would actually have to say "dreading it all my death" and I would forget to live.

Grandma Lenheart is a wonderful example of living. She is kind, gracious, wise, precious, and also bequeathed me a wonderful lil white purse :)

No comments:

Post a Comment